Got Innovation on the Brain? Write for MedTech Boston

writing

MedTech Boston is hiring two contributing writers. If you have a passion for changing the healthcare industry, experience writing for a science-based publication and an interest in innovation, we want to hear from you.

What you’ll do: As a MedTech Boston contributing writer, you’ll submit several story pitches to the Managing Editor every Monday. You’ll then research and write two posts per week for the site in one of the following categories:

• Events: Much of our content revolves around Boston area innovation events (or larger healthcare events in other major cities). These pieces should be approximately 700-900 words, and should highlight the most important happenings at these events. You’ll attend these events on behalf of MedTech Boston and write about it.
  • Products: We also publish features on new, innovative products that are changing the healthcare space. We usually reach out to companies and ask them to send a sample product to one of our writers. We then publish an approx. 700 word review of the product.
  • People: The site features Q&As with doctors, researchers, business professionals, startup gurus, and other interesting people from the healthcare space. These run approx. 800-1,000 words.
  • Companies: We also publish features on healthcare companies in the Boston area and beyond. These features are usually based on a visit to the company’s facility and on interviews with key players. They run from 700-1,200 words.
  • News: Interested in covering a new piece of research, a business merger or something else current and interesting? We publish work about news at the nexus of innovation and healthcare.

Who you are: You must be organized and timely with several years of writing experience (internships and school newspapers count). A science background and a knowledge of web writing on deadline are also required, and we hope you live in the Boston area (most of our events are here). We also want to work with people who are excited about MedTech Boston’s mission, clued into the Boston startup scene and curious about new trends in healthcare.

Don’t have time to write two pieces per week? MedTech Boston is always accepting pitches for stories you find interesting. If you have an idea, send it to jenni@medtechboston.com along with your resume and a published writing sample. We respond to every email we receive. We don’t pay for those kind of stories – MedTech Boston is still a young publication – but we hope the publicity, connections and free entrance to events are worth it.

If you’re interested in joining our start-up as a contributing writer, please email jenni@medtechboston.com by midnight on Sunday, August 3 with your resume and two published writing samples. We’ll pay you $250 per month for 10-20 hours of work – it’s not much but we hope it’s better than nothing, and there’s room for big time growth at our publication.

Help us change the healthcare industry one story at a time.

Jenni Whalen

Jenni Whalen

Jenni Whalen is the Executive Assistant of Editorial at Upworthy. She was previously MedTech Boston's Managing Editor and has an MS in Journalism from Boston University, as well as a BA in Psychology from Bucknell University. Whalen has written for Greatist, Boston magazine, AZ Central Healthy Living and the New England Journal of Medicine, among other places. She has also worked as a conference planner, ghost writer, researcher and content developer.

Follow us!

Send this to friend