Home » Companies » The Top 6 Population Health Management Startups

The Top 6 Population Health Management Startups

The concept of pre-emptively caring for patients before an acute condition escalates into an expensive and risky procedure is not a new idea; yet, patients are often treated for their illnesses at the point of serious intervention. This is largely because physician have lacked the ability to gather and analyze important patient data.  

But this is beginning to change. Population health management technology is making it easier for clinicians to collect and analyze data and subsequently create better, more specialized care management plans.

Here are the top 6 population health management startups in the US:

1. Color

Color has raised $150 million in total. The company gives customers the opportunity to understand and assess their genetic risks, including cancer and heart disease, from a saliva sample. In addition to results, users are given personalized screening guidelines and a board certified genetic counselor to help assess identified risks. The results let patients plan their financial decisions preemptively.

Dr. Jill Hagenkord, Chief Medical Officer of Color

Dr. Jill Hagenkord, Chief Medical Officer of Color says, “Color offers physician-ordered, clinical grade genetic tests using state of the art Next Generation Sequencing to analyze genes that are closely associated with some of the most common hereditary cancers and hereditary high cholesterol. The information obtained from genetic tests has the potential to help transform our healthcare system from one focused on treating illness to one focused on preventive care–saving lives and reducing skyrocketing healthcare costs.”

2. Cota Healthcare

Cota raised a $40 million Series C that was announced on February 21, 2018. Cota is a is a real-world data and analytics company bringing precision medicine to population health.  Its unique precision disease classification system, called the Cota Nodal Address (CNA) analyzes individual patient outcomes. Based off of real-world data, their analytic solution is called the Cota Real World Analytics (RWA) and it improves clinical patient outcomes through the analysis of population health within the system, while lowering the total cost of care of the population being studied. Furthermore, this system allows for greater accumulation of  information toward future research, including a focus on oncology.

3. Glooko

Glooko raised a $35 million Series C, which was announced on June 27, 2017. Glooko seeks to improve the daily lives of those living with diabetes by offering a management solution for patients, health systems, and insurance.  Their connected IoT devices including mobile apps with care plan reminders and a population tracker that automatically extracts data for over 90% of people with diabetes trackers to analyze the population trends. The devices give clinicians the ability to remotely access patient data as well as give patients more information about their own data for better self-management.  

Glooko’s Vice President of Strategy Michelle de Haaff says, “Glooko’s mobile and cloud platform enable people with diabetes and their care team to leverage data to deliver insights that drive behavior change ultimately improving outcomes. Glooko liberates data from over 180 diabetes and exercise devices, correlates it with food, exercise, medication and other data to deliver actionable insights that improve self-management and clinical care.”

4. BaseHealth

BaseHealth raised an $8.5 million Series C, announced on October 18, 2017. This startup is a comprehensive predictive analytics company for population health management. The company applies a Big Data perspective to population health risk analysis in order to provide a big picture to health systems. Their platform uses machine learning in order to analyze data from literature across millions of medical journals and patient records of large populations in order to ascertain the financial liability the patients face in their medical decisions.The company is largely focused on finding patients who are transitioning from low risk to high risk—with more acute and growing chronic conditions – using predictive modeling of patient conditions over the course of 12 months.

Daniel Hoemke, the Chief Business Officer at Basehealth cites rising healthcare costs as one of the reasons he’s passionate about his work at BaseHealth. He says, “the average costs for a family of 4 stays around $30,000, including premiums and similar costs. That number has doubled in 5 years and tripled in 10 years.  If you look at studies, the numbers indicate that 49 percent of our population is going to be chronically ill by the year 2025. We have to get ahead of this curve and based off of analytics, we provide the only known platform that provides an opportunity to do that.”

5. physIQ

The Chicago-based startup, physIQ raised an $8 million Series B, which was announced on July 25, 2017. The technology analyses changes in an individual’s physiology and gives personalized analysis rather than comparing to population based-studies. Biosensors continuously monitor the vital signs of at-risk patients including ambulatory patients, sending data to clinicians and helping customers track their own vital signs, especially in regards to personal fitness. The data is interpreted through the platform’s analytics program called PinpointIQto detect anomalies preemptively. The data is also used by pharmaceutical companies for integration into clinical trials for more efficient validation of new products.

Gary Conkright, Chairman, CEO, and Founder of physIQ says, “Monitoring people with chronic disease is a major challenge in healthcare. Powerful AI technology applied to human physiology may alert clinicians earlier to subtle, yet clinically significant, changes in a patient’s personal health status. pinpointIQÔ has been developed as a tool to enable truly proactive care delivery models and strengthen clinical trials. The potential implications are enormous cost savings to the healthcare system and greatly improved quality of life for patients.”

6.VirtualHealth

VirtualHealth raised a $7 million Series B that was announced on December 5, 2017. The platform creates a way for clinicians to view all patient data seamlessly on one screen, which can be applied to whole populations, allowing for better coordination between clinicians to improve population health. Key clinical and social indicators inform the care management plan and risk assessments in patients that go toward actionable results. The data is gathered and analyzed from EMR and EHRs, including lab tests, diagnoses, and billing and encounter data. The platform targets at-risk populations in order to achieve pre-emptive interventions, which improve outcomes and lower costs. The platform allows open communication and collaboration between clinicians and patients, and clinicians with their team.

Adam Sabloff, CEO

Adam Sabloff, CEO of VirtualHealth says, “VirtualHealth seeks to move the needle on outcomes, especially for high risk populations, healthcare organizations must aggregate and act upon the full spectrum of patient health information. This means considering behavioral and socioeconomic factors alongside clinical and claims data. This is how VirtualHealth approaches the ‘whole person’, incorporating clinical, behavioral, and social data streams and curating a single, comprehensive view of each patient. The platform then combines that whole-person view with the most intelligent and responsive workflows, enabling care teams to identify and act upon changes in real time. This is what we call proactive care delivery– with better outcomes and lower costs of care, everyone wins.”

Header Image: Color, left; Glooko application, right.

Leah D'Sa

Leah D’Sa is a Junior studying Writing, Literature, and Publishing at Emerson College. She is currently a copyeditor for the school newspaper the Berkeley Beacon as well as Poetry Editor for the literary magazine the Emerson Review. She is looking to begin her career with health technology writing as she seeks to combine her lifelong love of writing and science.