Home » Companies » Top Clinician Collaboration Tech Startups

Top Clinician Collaboration Tech Startups

In medicine, communication between clinicians is critical; however, advances in medical technology doesn’t always result in better communication. According to a 2015 NCBI study, “The Use of Technology for Urgent Clinician to Clinician Communications,” technology may in some cases exacerbate the problem. The study states that “delays in transmission and response time, disruption and distraction, and decreased face-to-face communication are all challenges that remain.”  

Nonetheless, the article stresses that in order to solve this problem, companies must create technology with an understanding of “the correlation between emerging technology, a demanding workload, and clinician-clinician interaction.”

Christopher Sanders, a health advisor for HealthXL and Co-Founder of AR in Action says, “technology is already having an enormous impact on the way clinicians are able to collaborate today leading to better access, higher quality of care, and reduced costs all around. A great example of this is telemedicine with RubiconMD and others leading the way in connecting general practitioners with specialists regardless of where they are in the world. A more futuristic example is AR where clinicians will be able to collaborate from opposite rooms of the hospital or opposite sides of the planet. Think manipulating radiology scans in 3D space together as if the clinicians are standing across from each other in the same room.”

Here are the top startups in the US using technology to foster better clinician collaboration:

1. DNAnexus

DNAnexus is a Mountain View, California based startup that raised a $58M Series E announced on January 2, 2018. DNAnexus uses cloud computing and bioinformatics to create a global network for sharing and management of genomic data. The cloud platform works seamlessly with top bio-pharmaceutical companies, leading genome centers, and pioneering diagnostic test providers that are using genomic data in their own clinics and for research. DNAnexus sequences vast amounts raw genomic data quickly and integrates it in a secure and compliant environment so that the organizations can leverage the data according to their goals.

Richard Daly, CEO at DNAnexus says, “Collaboration fuels scientific advancements. Working across hallways or across international borders, researchers need a secure space to foster collaboration and share data and tools. The DNAnexus Platform provides the infrastructure necessary for seamless communication and data collaboration among researchers, and addresses the legal requirements for the protection of patient privacy in accordance to HIPAA, CLIA, GxP and EU regulations.”

2. Collective Medical Technologies

Collective Medical Technologies is a Salt-Lake City based startup that raised a $45.7M Series A, announced on November 14, 2017. The company has created a digital communication tool called PreManage® that automatically gives clinical insights to clinicians without their having to ask for information. The program identifies high-risk patients and gives notifications to care providers about the patient’s history and the most essential problem at hand to clear up any miscommunication between clinicians who may be overburdened with information or disparate information in different EHRs. This communication tool streamlines communication between the entire medical team and can be used in a variety of diverse care facilities and effectively reduces readmission rates, stay duration, and reductions in patient work-ups.

3. Aetion

Aetion is a New York City based startup that raised a $36.4M Series B, announced on April 11, 2018. This company has created patented analytical tech called The Aetion Evidence Platform that seeks to assess the effectiveness of existing healthcare technology by analyzing evidence from clinical and financial interactions in healthcare systems. The company relies on hard scientific facts from interactions in existing healthcare technologies, and works with all existing healthcare data to ascertain their value. This allows clinicians to collaborate with biopharmaceutical and medical device companies with the evidence presented to them to make the best decisions for their facilities and their patients. Furthermore, the analyses are fully transparent, are always scientifically validated by third parties, and are tested according to FDA standards. The platform ensures that every clinician can trust the technology they are working with.

Leah D'Sa

Leah D’Sa is a Junior studying Writing, Literature, and Publishing at Emerson College. She is currently a copyeditor for the school newspaper the Berkeley Beacon as well as Poetry Editor for the literary magazine the Emerson Review. She is looking to begin her career with health technology writing as she seeks to combine her lifelong love of writing and science.